Celebrate + Give Back
November 22, 2017
The smell of spices wafts through the air, silverware and glasses clang enthusiastically, voices chatter, faces smile and stomach no longer growl. Thanksgiving is here! How will you celebrate the holiday this year?
Be prepared. Decorate your home and set the tables ahead of time. Prepare as much of the food the day before as you can to help alleviate some of the stress. It’s supposed to be a joyful day!
The recipes. Whether you’re working from a list of passed down family recipes, your latest favorite cookbook or even some new Pinterest ideas, everyone knows the food makes the day. Mix it up with healthy options and guilty pleasures to keep everyone happy.
Activities. Bring out the games and/or crafts to entertain the kids (and adults!). After exhausting the table conversation, break out one of the latest group games to stir up the laughs and a little competition.
Many people want to give back while they’re celebrating giving thanks. Think about the gifts you take advantage of everyday: how can you share that gratitude? Some activities are great for kids and adults alike. Need a few ideas to get started?
- The ever popular – volunteering at a kitchen to pass out food and warmth to those who need it most (check out the Hands On Nashville calendar, the Nashville Food Project, or other local organizations to see how you and your family can get involved). Oftentimes the organizations get overloaded with volunteers on Thanksgiving (not a bad problem to have!), so you may want to consider picking the day before or after.
- Host a food drive for perishable items or a clothing/coat drive and drop it off at a local shelter or church
- Create care packages for homeless families or adults in need. Consider filling bags with basic toiletries, warm socks, snacks, etc.
- Sign up with Meals on Wheels to deliver prepared meals to elderly adults who cannot prepare food due to health or physical limitations.
- Make care packages to send to the troops, who may not have a chance to be home with their families for the holidays. (hint: great opportunity for the kids to write some nice letters to go with the packages!)
If you don’t have time this holiday season to volunteer, host a food drive, or build your own care packages, you can always #GiveWithOleSouth. The next time you are at the grocery store pick up a couple of extra canned food items or you can even write a check to Second Harvest and drop them off at one of our model homes listed below.
- South Haven – Murfreesboro
- Evergreen Farms – Murfreesboro
- Puckett Station – Murfreesboro
- Old Hickory Commons – Nashville
- Vista at Whites Creek – Nashville
- Western Woods – Fairview
- Meadowbrook – Spring Hill
However you celebrate, we hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.