April Showers Bring May Flowers
April 21, 2015
We have all heard the joke; “If April showers bring may flowers then what do Mayflowers bring?!…. PILGRIMS!” But in Middle Tennessee it is also time to start preparing for the natural beauty that is on its way! Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when preparing for those May flowers.
- Keep weeds under control.
- Be prepared for cold snaps at night. Use newspapers or sheets to protect seedlings.
- Stake perennials before they get too tall.
- Sow hearty annuals and herb seeds.
- Finish pruning roses. Remove dead and diseased wood first. Hybrid teas can be cut back hard, to a new shoot.
- Feed hungry shrubs and roses.
- Cut your grass every 5 to 7 days to keep it looking well kept.
Finally, pour a large glass of sweet tea and sit back and wait for the beauty to bloom!